Sunday, October 11, 2009

Arts without titles

We usually see arts with titles that represent what the artist is trying to portray.
  • Do you usually interpret art from your own perspective regardless of the title given by the artist?
  • Do you usually follow what the artist feeds you?
  • Do you need the artist's perspective as a base and then add your own interpretation to that?
I am usually comfortable with no titles for abstract arts as I prefer to interpret the meaning based on how they affect my emotions. For representational arts, I don't mind "straightforward" titles. However, a shift in naming convention in representational arts to include more abstract titles- titles that invoke our emotions rather than representing the aesthetics, may establish some sort of creative bridge between the artist and the viewer.

2 comments:

Hitomi said...

Hello Red Web Turtle,

I look at the title after seeing an artwork. It helps to see what the artist wants to say although titles sometimes puzzle us. I hate to give a title sometimes, but I am very happy when I can.

I may be wrong but I began to see what you want to express.

RWT said...

@Hitomi, thanks for your thoughts. You are right, titles sometimes puzzle us. Perhaps creativity always does not only reside in the artwork. Sometimes the title acts as another dimension to creativity whether to obscure the meaning or to accentuate the message.

Post a Comment